About Powerhouse Community Network
Powerhouse Community Network is a registered UK charity (1107472) and an organisation that has been present in Barking & Dagenham for over 10 years. Powerhouse Community Network was developed to reflect the growing number of services we deliver. It exists to combat isolation and poverty, while providing a helping hand, listening ear and real friendship to enable people to face their problems and find a place of belonging in their community
The need for Powerhouse Community Network
“Jobs, homes, and friends are what will make the biggest difference to improving people’s health”
Duncan Selbie, Public Health England
Barking and Dagenham is a very mixed community with one of the fastest growing populations in London. Barking and Dagenham (B&D) is in England’s top 7% most deprived boroughs1. The borough is culturally diverse: 40% of B&D’s population is from non white backgrounds2, there are over 100 languages spoken by children attending B&D schools3 and 1 in 10 households have no one who speaks English4. People living in the area face multiple, complex issues. Levels of wellbeing and life satisfaction are low5. There are poor health outcomes related to deprivation6, and poorer access to healthcare further exacerbates health issues7. Low levels of skills and qualifications, and high unemployment, also contribute to poor life chances in B&D8.
Our social mission includes:
- Youth Academy that empower young people to finish their secondary education and continue into further education, employment or training.
- Youth mentoring & Development programmes, in which young people are inspired and empowered to take responsibility for their future
- Community Leaders Forum – A meeting for leaders to facilitate networking among the various sectors and provide a voice for their respective communities.
- Community Support: Tea & Coffee Mornings/Food Bank/Barbecue, regular outreaches to all in our community, enabling local people to build social networks, try new activities and to thrive within difficult personal situations.
- Sustaining Life- a forum to provide support to those with life changing health related problem, especially Sickle Cell, cancer and autism.